Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Tale of Two Garden Centers--Thistle Stop and Schafer's

Sometimes I accidently and literally land in a garden center by following catchy road signs that direct me to its business.
Walking through to Thistle Stop plant area
Other times I find places as I thumb through garden magazines. The latest one I found was advertised in a glossy upscale garden magazine and looked promising as did their web-site pictures so we ventured 30 miles southwest to Yorkville last Saturday to see if I could add Thistle Stop to my list of “favorite garden hang-outs.” 
I don’t like to be critical of any place that shares my love of gardening and plants, but I don’t know, maybe the proprietor of Thistle Stop Garden Shop was having a bad hair day or something. It certainly wasn’t a good day for a few of their plants who appeared pretty depressed looking; a couple dead.  And their web pictures (slideshow of inventory, etc.) disappointingly did not mirror the actual place (perhaps it hadn’t been updated in a while). So all in all it was pretty much a waste of gas unless you live closer and want to check in once in a while to see how things are going.
GOOD NEWS! On the way back we did fortunately run into another spot I hadn’t been to for years called Schafer’s Garden Center in Montgomery at 120 S. Lake Street. They have a great web-site outlining what they have to offer, but in no way does it show how bushy and lush their plants are. This place is worth the gas!

No comments: