Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Non Adventure - Chicago City Hall Rooftop Garden Not Open to Public

If you want to check out Chicago City Hall's rooftop (green roof) garden, you are out of luck. I tried. 


Monday afternoon I went over to ask and the security person said, "Oh no. No one's allowed up there because of safety reasons and because they have bees." (I guess he meant someone was "raising bees")


I am sure there are close-up pictures of it somewhere, but I couldn't find that many. It is said that the honey produced there is available at Gallery 37. And while bees are nice, I am much more interested in seeing the plants they hang around with. P.S. A friend suggested if I wanted to get up there and see it I needed to offer to host a fund-raiser for the new Chicago Mayor Emanuel. And I say to that: politics and bees? I think not.  
Submitted by Andy


According to an article in American Society of Landscape Architects: "Although the rooftop is not normally accessible to the public, it is visually accessible from 33 taller buildings in the area. The design form is intended to be read from these various vantage points. The plantings are organized in a sunburst pattern, which respects the symmetry of the historic City Hall and provides a format for arranging groups of plants over the three different roof systems." go to Asla for more info.



No comments: