Armchair critic I am not. But I know high-style garden art when I see it.
Found this garden sculpture in the front yard of a home in Chicago. I guess it could have hundreds of connotations. Interestingly, today Yahoo news passed on from Reuter’s who in turn picked up a story on the virtualtourist site announcing the 10 top places to see bad public art. They picked on Chicago’s very own Marilyn Monroe statute. And then there were those colorful painted fiberglass cows which broke away from the farms and paraded down city and suburban streets some years back--apparently virtualtourist members didn't like those either. After spectators tired of seeing cows dressed in polka dots and stripes, some were auctioned off and ended up as whimsical front-yard lawn ornaments. I personally would rather have a rusty vintage wheelbarrow filled with plants in my yard.
No mention from these armchair critics on whether an armchair would be considered bad art. I think it’s sort of cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment