Across the street from the acclaimed Goose Island Brewery in Lincoln Park on Clybourn, and a few blocks from Jayson Home and Garden, there used to be one of my favorite garden hang-outs called Smith & Hawken.
Back in the 1990s I thought I was in heaven when I first walked into the store at 1780 Marcy. It was a converted warehouse that had original brick walls and refinished wood floors. They offered everything from rubber gardening clogs to decorative iron gates (we bought one!) to books, plants/bulbs, containers and patio furniture. In addition, there was a separate outlet store with bargains galore.
Originally Smith & Hawken was an upscale garden retail and catalogue venue with 56 free-standing stores in the United States. Currently Target has bought the brand name and somehow it's just not the same. If you stick to ordering on its web-site it's okay, but for me buying a watering can along side hot dogs, deodorant, watches and DVDs doesn't cut it.
I don’t know what they use this space for anymore, but when they auction off the steel pitchfork and shovel door handles, I want to be there to bid on them.
No comments:
Post a Comment