| Sedum growing under two oak trees (absolutely no sun). Note the hosta in the back. |
Here's another garden myth. It is said by garden experts (Reader's Digest Guide) that sedum (a.k.a. stonecrop) grows easily in full sun. Guess what? It grows easily in full shade in my mid-west garden. It also advises planting in any well-drained soil. Guess what? With the rain we've had, it has sat in puddles (in bog - like conditions) for weeks and still survived. Experts report that wet soils, especially in winter, will cause rot at the crown. Not yet, plant going on 12 years. Now that we've had no rain in the last two weeks, it has survived in its new desert conditions. We are told to divide in the spring. I've divided all seasons, including winter, provided soil isn't frozen hard as a rock.
Information about how to grow hardy sedum plants came from Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Gardening, It lists 25 consultants and technical advisers with credentials in plant sciences, horticulture and includes many garden specialists. My point is; be willing to experiment despite what we are told the right thing is to do!
I have several varieties of sedum and they're not dying. In fact, I am usually dividing to sell because I have too many. P.S. Purple coneflowers grow in shade too.
No comments:
Post a Comment