Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Keeping the Plants Safe

So I buy these pansies last week because they're supposed to be plants that can survive cooler weather conditions. But since cool doesn't really mean overnight temperatures of 19 degrees, I end up hauling them out of the garage, dragging them in before nightfall, taking them in, taking them out. Garden experts give advice on keeping plants safe from freezing. At one point I actually bought into it. 

There are days when temperatures are 60 degrees and you think this is it--even though you know in your heart it might freeze, but are hoping against hope that maybe March 30 will be the last freeze of the season for the Chicago area.

But of course it never is, so I consult my garden encyclopedia and they say make sure if those hostas have peaked through the leaves and WGN's Tom Skilling forecasts freezing temperatures, you better get out there and cover them. I end up throwing some of Andy's blankets over a few, but I probably have over five hundred popping up and this isn't a very practical solution. And I figure if they also need pillows, I'd real be pushing my luck, so I give it all up. 

Pansies and Hostas safely tucked in.
Tip: Guess what? Those hostas that weren't safely bedded down with comfortable and appropriate covers, and weren't kissed goodnight, actually managed to thrive come mid-April!

No comments: