Thursday, March 10, 2011

Buying Seeds

This is definitely the time to visit the garden stores (and grocery, hardware, big boxes) or order from seed catalogs because NOW is when they all have the greatest supply and variety of seed offerings. The flower selections I’ve had the best luck with produce a cottage-garden chic. If your house has peeling paint on the outside, all the better; it will add an artful ambiance. 


A note about seeds. I did go and check some out at our local Lowe's store. If I don't have to look at the lawnmowers and snow plowers I am okay with this place. Their website which features some how-tos on gardening and plants leaves a little to be desired, but hey let's face it, they're making their money on the snow plowers and lawnmowers--not seeds!  


Anyway, I've always spent a lot of time looking at how much seed I am getting for my money and have decided it's not worth the time. The Burbee package of Dill, for example was $1.28 for 1.7 g. The Larkspur package was 975 mg for $1.35. How many actually come up is any one's guess. When I get ready, I'll open the seed packages and show you what I mean. 

No comments: