After reading today's
Wall Street Journal 's Weekend Gardener column, it reminded me I still needed to post the rest of those pictures I took of the garden walk I went to over a week ago. Author, Marian McEvoy, who I guess is also some kind of glue-gun expert, has instructions and tips on how to plan your own garden party/tour as a walk, talk and gawk treasure hunt for about a dozen people. She says you don't need a soundtrack or candles (and I say why not? At least offer flashlights) but at the end of the tour you should have on hand a couple bottles of
Prosecco or pink Champagne and make sure to time it so you have a lingering sunset...good luck with that! The caption next to the picture accompanying the article says, "Worth a Visit". It's Kim Visokey's Garden on Woodley Road in
Winnetka, IL but there's no mention of when that garden tour will be open to the public, so the picture looks like the only opportunity to view it. Oh well.
It's true that you do not need a soundtrack, but one of the sweetest gardens we went to invited visitors to stroll amongst the cottage-styled flowers as they listened to live music--heavenly classical pieces by an accomplished chellist.
This garden was completely organic--the compost pile was in full view. There were no heavily mulched plants or paths. The mowed grass paths added a vintage, homey feeling and coneflowers, buddleia bloomed a long side wispy annuals like cosmos and daisies. Stunning.
Nice assortment of embellishments added to attract hummingbirds, butterflies and birds. We had to leave because some raindrops appeared (God, I wish they'd appear again!) So that's the other dilemma of having your own special garden walk-party: do you have a rain date set or do you cover the whole place with outdoor tents?
No comments:
Post a Comment