Thursday, June 4, 2015

Climbing Hydrangea Worth the Wait

"Have patience."  That’s the advice the sales person at the first garden retail place told me after I came back and asked why my climbing hydrangea wasn’t flowering. I was looking for a climbing vine that worked in the shade, but after three years and no flowers I wondered why it was taking so darn long. I waited and waited until it finally died. So I bought another one from a different place and planted it next to my oak tree. The sales person said the same thing. "You have to be patient. It takes a while for this to get started." And I thought, Yeah I’ve heard this before. And when there were still no flowers after four years, I thought, that’s it, I am not buying another. 

After six years, a friend suggested a special fertilizer to use; I am not sure if that did the trick, but eventually it did finally start producing flowers. I guess it was worth the seven year wait.




No comments: