Friday, July 12, 2013

Best Community Gardens

This is the month in the midwest where garden tours/walks abound. I've been on a few and I haven't even loaded the photos on the site, because I am not very excited about them. The tours cost about $15 - $18.00 per ticket which usually goes to the garden club that hosts the event and I don't mind donating to groups that also help the city plant flowers in various sections of the village or city.

But the best garden walk I've been on this summer--and it doesn't cost a penny--is at the local community gardens at Primrose Park in St. Charles: More information about rental plot sizes and fees at the link just to get an idea on how it operates. I call it a self-guided walk and it lets observers linger among the plots soaking in the creativity and talent of the hardworking renters.  Energetic gardeners rent a plot, maybe two for the season, and the results are stunning. Vegetables never looked so tasty. Some have fences to keep out critters, but others just let their bounty grow in the wind...and the sun...and the rain. We've had lots of rain this summer for a perfect growing season.

It's just not about growing vegetables, it's the little things that add a touch of whimsy, humor and delight  and every time I stop by (we regularly walk our dogs there) I see a new attraction; sometimes a small bauble someone has added to beautify the space, other times a bigger focal point like a fountain. Here are some pictures for those not in the area to see in person.

New use for those throwaway mannequins -
Scarecrow - California dreaming design.

Besides vegetables, annuals planted. Zinnias ad morning glory arbor.

Who'd think? This plot is for apartment renters who miss mowing. Plant grass in your plot.
Add a covered tent, hanging basket, a duck or two.
Check out the various types of planters.
Container gardening always looks so neat. Easier to weed as well.

Garden art - birds of a plastic feather. 

Raised garden and peace sign planting of edible greens.
Well, that's what it looks like to me.

For comfort and resting: chairs and sun umbrellas.
Bring along the lemonade and sandwiches. Have a picnic

I just think this is such an interesting way to divide plants.

Keep out the weeds by laying down old carpet between plants.
A nice mat for meditating as well.

Blueberry bushes are the residents inside the tent.
Where to put the sleeping bag???

Add a garden shed to store supplies.

Unfortunately, some of these structures were removed weeks after these pictures were taken.

No comments: