Friday, June 15, 2012

Gardening When it Doesn't Rain

It is best to read the weather forecast before praying for rain. ~ Mark Twain

Local Weather News

This has not been a fun gardening time. There has not been one drop of rain the first 14 days of June. The only time in Chicago weather history to equal this was June 1988, the year of the historic drought (thank goodness I wasn't gardening then).

The next six days have predicted high temps greater than 90 degrees with no significant rainfall expected.  The gardens and farmland of northern Illinois are now entering extreme moisture deficit conditions.

Tools required for fighting drought.
When it doesn't rain, there are two difficult decisions that need to be made: Either water or don't. If you don't, what's the point of having a garden? When I take a cup of coffee and meander around the garden in the still cool early morning, I don't want to look at wilting, brown, crispy astilbe foliage.

Making sure perennial and annual flower roots are kept wet is almost impossible when there is over an acre of plants to tend to.  We don't have any water restrictions because we have a well--which, of course, has the aquifer issue--but the time and energy it takes to water is a real drag so for now my technique is to survival water: water only what absolutely needs watering.


What should get watered, and what can you just let go? In 2005, the last Chicagoland extreme drought, we had a total of 1.05 inches of rain in June; 2.30 inches in July; and 4.05 inches in August. By the end of July I threw my arms up in the air, went inside and refused to water another plant. Purple coneflowers flopped over, phlox blooms were so tiny and pathetic I was certain I'd have to replace everything the next season--that is if I decided to continue gardening.

But the next season I believe every sad looking plant came back! Without any watering from me. How far I'll get into this season before throwing up my arms in frustration I am not sure. I am an optimist. The weather report says possible rain on Sunday! I am praying.

PS. Here are some plants that don't care how dry it is: Sedums and stonecrop.






No comments: